Committee Meeting, 31st October 2009
Present: John Brandon, Roger Piercy, Angus Stewart, Richard Ardern, Bob Barnes-Watts, Iain MacDonald, Gavin Sinclair
David Start & Anne Sutherland.
(2) Minutes from last Committee Meeting
circulated and approved.
(3) Matters Arising
update Transport Scotland so that FoFNL is included on consultee list.
(4) AGM Minutes
circulated and approved.
(5) Membership Secretary update
176 members including 7 community councils
(6) Treasurer update
Bond matures in December. David Start will investigate reinvestment opportunities.
(7) 2010 AGM
Chris Green has been approached as a speaking, subject to availability. May 31 preferred date in Inverness with Wick a possible venue in 2011.
RP updated on material or next newsletters. The uploaded of newsletters on the website will be delayed such that the newsletters in the public domain will be one issue later than for members.
(9) Timetable issues
a response to Transport Scotland re swapping portions on the 1752 INV - KYL/WCK. Transport Scotland to be asked to revise the stopping pattern at Dunrobin Castle.
(10) Reports from other organisations' meetings:
RP - Muir of Ord Over 60s Club. The "Virtual Rail Journey on the Far North Line" presentation. 30 plus people attended and in the Q & A session afterwards it was obvious a reasonable number make use of the rail services and raised the usual problems, especially the catering or lack of it. They appeared surprised at our existence and what we do.
Highland Homecoming presentation. This came about after being approached to make suggestions as to what transport themes the organising committee could pursue. Iain Macdonald shared the presentation "Virtual Rail Journey on the Far North Line" in Alness.
RA - RJA had taken part in a scoping meeting (organised by Passenger Focus) for Network Rail's forthcoming 2nd generation RUS for Scotland.
BBW - attended HITRANS Rail User Group meeting on 30 April. FoFNL questions raised:
- Confirmation of catering services on the Kyle and Far North lines
- How are passengers with onward connections taken care of in the event of late running i.e. Northlink ferry, Kyle for Portree, Fearn for Courtney Cabs, Lairg buses, C&E Taxis at Beauly and Southbound connections at Inverness. Are passengers being taken by bus from IGD/ASS to
- RETB issues - progress with replacement and will there be an additional desk at the Inverness Signalling Centre to avoid drivers having to wait to speak to a signaller although can the system cope with more than one key entry at a time?
- 158 reliability - have the number of failures increased of late and can we be assured of working air conditioning this Summer?
- Cold trains on the 0621 KYL - INV. What steps have been taken to ensure a more comfortable temperature on this train.
- General fares discussion.
(11) Any other business
concern raised at the number of train sets with dirty windows in service recently.
(12) Next Committee Meeting
Saturday 6th February, venue TBC.