Questions for candidates
This month in the Scottish and local elections we can quiz the politicians. Here are a selection of questions to put.
- Are you in favour of moving freight from road to rail - if so what steps would you take to bring this about?
- Will you campaign for the replacement of the present constricted 158 trains on the north lines by new trains suited to longer distance resident and tourist travel with spacious provision for luggage and cycles?
- Highland Council have introduced free all day bus travel for pensioners - will you press them to extend this to include free rail travel for pensioners?
- At this Election several Political Parties are majoring on the Environment - how does this apply to Transport Policy for you?
- Despite funds from the Scottish Executive and Highland Council the "Invernet" project for two hourly interval Tain - Inverness trains has been put on hold due to the Westminster Government cutting £312 million from the Strategic Rail Authority budget. Will you give the highest priority to getting "Invernet" up and running?
- Will you press for a short rail chord west of Georgemas to give direct running and time saving from Thurso to the south?
- How would you persuade traders in Wick to establish rail freight?
- An hourly interval Inverness - Aberdeen service has long been sought - will you campaign for the necessary 3½ miles of double track to be re-instated?
- Are you in favour of sub 3 hour Inverness - Edinburgh/Glasgow modern expresses to attract car users off the A9?
- Do you recognise that long haul freight makes economic sense and that this requires the Scottish Government to invest in track capacity to serve the Highlands?