June 2006 Timetable
The major timetable change in December 2005 is carried forward. However, the new timetable takes the opportunity to resolve a number of issues:
- 1747 Inverness - Wick retimed to depart Inverness 1753 and arrive Wick 2208 (creating connection from Aberdeen at 1523)
- 1800 Inverness - Kyle retimed to depart 1815 and arrive Kyle of Lochalsh 2047.
- 1638 Kyle - Inverness retimed to depart 1648.
- 1257 Tain - Inverness retimed 5 minutes later throughout.
In addition, the summer only services (1241 Inverness - Kyle and 1513 Kyle - Inverness) operate during June - September.
On Sundays, the midday departure from Wick is retimed to depart 1141. The summer Sunday timetable remains unchanged from last year.
Looking to the December 2006 timetable change, the previously announced additional service from Wick to Inverness will commence operation on Monday 11 December. This service will depart Wick at 0813 and Thurso 0842 then will be advertised to stop at Georgemas Junction, Forsinard, Helmsdale, Brora, Golspie, Rogart, Lairg, Ardgay, Tain, Invergordon, Dingwall, Muir of Ord and arrive Inverness 1213.
The Invernet service will be revised to improve connectional opportunities at Inverness.
To allow for trains crossing and change of train crew at Helmsdale, the 0714 Inverness - Wick will be retimed to arrive Wick later.
A number of FoFNL members have suggested ideas for timetable development and studies have been done looking at integration of local bus and post bus services and connectional opportunities with train services. Further, all ideas presented have been worked into full timetable options for consideration and operational appraisal.
A study looking at Sectional Running Times (therefore journey times) has been commissioned and the conclusions used in this timetable development exercise.
Making use of the available capacity, train crew and rolling stock resources for the December 2007 timetable, aspirations (costed and appraised) may include:
- additional early morning Dingwall - Inverness service.
- reduction of the first Wick - Inverness service journey time.
- additional Thurso - Wick morning service.
- additional 'peak' arrival in Inverness (at 0900).