On 1 February 1865 the Inverness and Aberdeen Junction and the Inverness and Perth Junction railways amalgamated to form The Highland Railway Company with its headquarters in Inverness. The Sutherland and Caithness Railway, opened in 1874, was worked by the Highland for ten years before being fully absorbed into the company. The Highland Railway itself was eventually absorbed into the London Midland and Scottish Railway at "the Grouping" on 1 January 1923.
The Highland Railway Society was formed in 1987 and its quarterly Journal has now reached issue no 112. A pdf index is available. Membership of the society costs £15 and application should be made to John Fairlie, Membership Secretary, at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01628 532926.
Much of the Society's considerable archive is housed in the Highland Archives in Inverness. The backlist of authoritative books includes the following which relate to the Far North Line.
The Black Isle Railway 2014
Inverness and Ross-shire Railway 2012
Lost Stations of the Far North Line 2010
Pioneers of the Highland Tracks 2010
These and others may be obtained from John Roake, email@example.com or phone 01963 370697.